[ale] [OT] Whine, moan, and complain - 6 day outage.

Jim Lynch ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Mon Jul 9 19:57:39 EDT 2007

Scott Castaline wrote:
> Jim Lynch wrote:
>
> You didn't work for Quotron Systems? That sounds like what we would go
> through, although I worked out in the field, not at the data center(s).

No, it was Babcock and Wilcox.  We had a large CDC data center and found
a number of our power generation customers wanted to use our computers,
so we built a service bureau.

Totally off topic, but it might be interesting.  The division that had
the systems was the nuclear power generation division (Remember TMI?)
Seems the utilities with reactors needed to do some on going analysis
primarily for reloading the fuel.  It was a monumental task to get the
NRC to approve a program and usually it was only approved for a specific
platform (read $$$).  The utilities being a regulated industry had a
heck of a time actually purchasing a capital item, but could spend
freely (relatively) on purchasing computer time.  Hence we capitalized
on that fact and sold our excess computing time.

Jim