[ale] OT watch you cable tv bill

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Mon Jul 9 16:08:19 EDT 2007

They're not "overzealous" - they're "greedy".  Whenever there is a cash
incentive (or a quota) for selling certain services some people will do
it whether you ask for it or not because they get the credit on the
front end and no penalty on the back end.

This kind of stuff used to be so common in telecom that they had names
for things like "slamming" and "jammig".   In the one you'd not ask for
your long distance carrier to be changed (or even call anyone about it)
but suddenly you'd get a phone bill showing XYZ Corp had replaced the
company you'd heard of and was charging you $12/minute for long
distance.   In the other the carrier's reps were adding services to what
you'd actually ordered.

As recently as last year I saw this kind of thing on a Cingular account
for my sister in Chattanooga.  Essentailly what happened was a text
message was sent to the phone that said "send a reply to opt out" of
something like daily sports scores.   Since they didn't reply Cingular
started billing them $20/month for this "3rd party" service.   They
reversed it fairly quickly once I spoke to a supervisor there but their
original thing to my sister was "pay the bill and we'll reverse it
later".   As I pointed out to my sister and to the supervisor there
would be zero incentive for removing the charges once they'd gotten the
payment.