[ale] Some days are worse than others (HTML)

Michael B. Trausch michael.trausch at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 13:35:57 EDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-07-04 at 10:59 -0400, aaron wrote:

> Can you please re-send your replies as Plain Text email
> or with Plain Text included?
>
> I believe that Plain Text is the requested standard format
> for the ALE list in general.

Very interesting... Thunderbird, I thought, always sent a text/plain
replacement body in its messages when HTML output was enabled.  It
appears you can disable that...?

Brian, having text/plain message body generation disabled is generally
considered to be a Bad Thing.  I use HTML mail, myself, but I provide a
text/plain message component with all of my messages (composed through
Evolution) that enables people who really don't want to see HTML mail to
configure their mail client to prefer text/plain message bodies over
those that are text/html.  Also, it is considered bad taste to
reconfigure the colors for an entire message; this actually makes mail
messages less accessible to those who might be colorblind, for example.

When using HTML mail, it's best to let the user be able to pick the
colors that they want to see the message in.  It is advantageous to use
HTML mail for it's ability to use italic and underline and minor
variations in font (for example, typing command-names), but changing the
colors (and particularly, reducing the contrast between text/background)
is a bad thing.

Just thought you might want to know that.

    --- Mike

--
Michael B. Trausch
                                Web:
           michael.trausch at gmail.com
Demand Freedom!  Use open and free protocols, standards, and software!
Support free speech---it is the most valuable freedom we have!