[ale] Was Re: DSL static IP; now Linksys WiFi/Routers

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Thu Jul 5 10:26:35 EDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-07-05 at 00:14 -0400, Jeremy T. Bouse wrote:
> 	I picked up my second WRTSL54GS (marketed as the "Media Storage Link
> Router with SpeedBooster") for about $90 as Frys recently. I do like
> it's arch better than the other Linksys models as the WiFi, LAN and WAN
> interfaces are separate ethernet devices to the system on chips (SoC).
> It also has the USB port that you can use for external storage for a
> central file server if you like and also makes handy for installing
> extra OpenWRT ipkg's without being online.

I'll make a pitch for a very similar device, the Asus WL-500g Premium.
266mhz CPU, 8MB of flash, 32MB of RAM, 2 x USB 2.0. You can find it
online for around $100. Runs OpenWRT White Russian easily, and with a
USB disk it can even run the debian mipsel port.
http://wpkg.org/index.php/Running_Debian_on_ASUS_WL-500G_deluxe

-Brian