[ale] OT: License restrictions (reasons why?)

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Thu Jul 5 08:37:18 EDT 2007

That reminds me of working in a major Pharmaceutical's ERP shop.  Since
it was related to manufacturing it had to be use "FDA Validation".  This
"validation" is documentation to a level that makes SOX look like a walk
in the park.  One of the things they told me as I was being tested on
the documents (many of which I wrote!) was that the FDA could come back
to me up to 7 years later to justify actions taken/not taken for the
"validated" systems.   Due to this there was incredible resistance there
to installing any OSS even if it was just something like adding lsof to
a Solaris machine.