[ale] DSL static IP

Jim ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Thu Jul 5 06:52:24 EDT 2007

Jeremy T. Bouse wrote:

> 	I barely trust Bellsouth, Comcast even less, to provide any reliable
> service to which to host a server on so you must have been daft or
> disregarded when I mentioned a hosted Xen VPS. The servers I run at my
> location are for internal development and thus not reachable from the
> outside except via VPN.

I have the static IP address option from Bellsouth and have had zero
problems hosting a web server from home.  Granted, it's not a heavily
used web site, but for directing the occasional family member or friend
to view docs/pix it works fine.  I sure wouldn't want to run a business
on it, however.

 Bellsouth either doesn't know I'm doing it or doesn't care.  When I had
a dynamic address, I used dydns or freedns (I forget which) to follow my
ip address around and that worked most of the time.  The only time I can
recall not being able to get to my web site is when the machine that
hosts the site was down.

Jim.