[ale] DSL static IP

Jeremy T. Bouse jeremy.bouse at undergrid.net
Wed Jul 4 19:10:15 EDT 2007

Jim Popovitch wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-07-04 at 13:33 -0400, Jeremy T. Bouse wrote:
>> 	With BS/ATT not a whole lot... It's still not enough to get them to
>> remove the 25/tcp port block to any server but their mail servers,
>
> 25/tcp is blocked on OUTBOUND, not inbound.  So... you CAN run your own
> mail server.   Just setup postfix/exim/sendmail on your box to accept
> inbound and use BS's upstream mail servers as your outbound "smart
> host".

	But why then is the point? I've found that their mail servers are very
unreliable so the point of running my own mail server is to have a
reliable one. Instead I have a Xen VPS running Postfix and have it
listening on several alternative ports that BS doesn't block outbound
and thus avoid having to use them for anything but a lease line to the
internet which is much easier for them to prove themselves reliable as I
depend on them for far much less than the average user.