[ale] DSL static IP

Jeremy T. Bouse jeremy.bouse at undergrid.net
Wed Jul 4 13:33:28 EDT 2007

Paul Cartwright wrote:
> ok, so I upgraded to the 3Mb DSL w/BS, JUST so I could get the free ATT wi-fi
> connection at airports, etc.. $5 more a month doubled my speed, gave me the
> free wi-fi AND I got a static IP out of it. SO..... what can I do with the
> static IP that I couoldn't do before? With speedfactory or speakeasy I could
> probably run my own mail server & domain, but I don't think the TOS for BS
> allows that, or am I wrong..

	With BS/ATT not a whole lot... It's still not enough to get them to
remove the 25/tcp port block to any server but their mail servers, for
that you have to go with a business class connection. Chances are you
might be able to run a web server; however, I suspect they'd frown on
that once they noticed. About all I use my static IP for is to make a
VPN endpoint back to my network.