[ale] formatting help needed

Sean Kilpatrick drifter at oppositelock.org
Mon Jul 2 11:42:13 EDT 2007

The problem:
Rebuilt box has two 250 GB SATA hard drives, new mobo
w/onboard Nvidia GPU, faster CPU, more memory.
I prefer KDE (slightly) to Gnome [THIS IS NOT FLAME BAIT] and
am getting tired of the hassle Red Hat puts me through trying
to get the GUI running a more or less straight KDE.  So I
thought I'd try Kbuntu.

So I got the CD and took a look.

Question #1:
  Does anybody know how to set up a Kubuntu install so that it has
the traditional (protected) root account AND one or more user acnts.
Looking at the install process it looks like the install process was
copied from Windoze and the initial account is both user and root.
That's dumb.

--------------------

The Kbuntu install apparently doesn't have any way to set up a RAID
with the two drives. So I grabbed a FC6 install set and thought I'd
use that to set up the RAID, partition and format the drives and then
install Kbuntu.  Sounded like a good idea at the time. :)

But I can not figure out how to do that using the FC install process.
I know it is possible when a RAID drive dies, to replace it and then
rebuild the RAID (at least on RAID-1). You'd think (or at least it
occurred to me) that I could set up one drive and then the software could
duplicate the partitioning on the other.  But apparently it doesn't work
that way.

I know that I want seven partitions: /boot, /tmp, swap, /  , /var,
/usr, and /home.  Memory tells me that the Primary Partition can only
be split into 4 sections, one of which must be the Secondary Partition.
But I'll be damned if I can figure out how to do this.

Question #2:
  Can someone (OFF LINE) give me some specific pointers on how to use the
Red Hat installer to set up the RAID and partition the drives?  Or point
me to a comprehensive help file?  I looked up the Red Hat instructions
but they're not of much help as the install process has changed.

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/custom-guide/ch-software-raid.html

Specifically, the older instructions read this way:

| For Allowable Drives, select the drive(s) on which RAID will be created.
| If you have multiple drives, all drives will be selected here and you must
| deselect those drives which will not have the RAID array on them.

But the current install process won't let me do that.  I stopped banging my
head against this wall late last night and went to bed.  I am trying again
this morning and, like an addict walking into AA, I am willing to admit I
need help.

Sean