[ale] ReSolved: Q: getting /dev/net/tun for openVPN on RH-7.3

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Sun Jul 1 16:24:42 EDT 2007

ALErs -

I took two steps, but may not have needed both:

 1. I created 'character' nodes at /dev/net/tun and /dev/tun0 by:
    # mknod <device> c <Major#> <Minor#>

    (I picked 'Major#' and 'Minor#' similar to values assigned
    dynamically in my 'devfs' system.)

 2. I forcibly loaded the 'tun' module, now in my rc.local as:
    insmod tun

Now when I 'sudo' the startup script, the VPN connection opens as it
should.

Firewall settings were not an issue because I'm running only a client, and
allow outgoing connections without filtering.

Again, thanks to Jim for pitching in.

 - Mills