[ale] OT: How to serve a clean web logout?

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Tue Jan 30 09:21:10 EST 2007

ALErs -

I'm working on a web server tool that logs users in for https sessions,
but is rather clumsy when they log out. The present 'logout' button sets
itself up as a bogus UN/PW, then tosses a javascript fragment to
'document.execCommand(\"ClearAuthenticationCache\");'. This leaves the
user stuck with the ususable UN/PW and openSSL doesn't prompt with a new
login panel.

If you stop your brower, start it again, and open the site, the login is
smooth.

I would like to have a simple, clean 'https' login/logout combination
that would work with Mozilla, Firefox, Netscape, and - yes - even IE.

TIA for any web-monkey's solutions.

 - John Mills