[ale] Strange drive (fdisk) output?

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Mon Jan 29 23:20:56 EST 2007

On Mon, 2007-01-29 at 21:14 -0500, James P. Kinney III wrote:

> Given the low cylinder count that is missing and the total failure of
> the drive, I would surmise the boot sector has been destroyed.
>
> It ma be possible to resurrect the bad drive if the maker supplies a
> special "driver" disk that has low level format tools.
>
> If not, start looking for the receipt and the warranty.

Western Digital, at least in my experience, does not require a receipt
or proof of purchase.  All they require for a warranty replacement is
the serial number.  They look it up, determine whether or not it is
still eligible for warranty, and if it is, they'll replace it provided
that you follow their RMA instructions.

    -- Mike

--
Michael B. Trausch
                    fd0man at gmail.com
Phone: (404) 592-5746
                          Jabber IM:
                    fd0man at gmail.com
              fd0man at livejournal.com
Demand Freedom!  Use open and free protocols, standards, and software!