[ale] OT: How long before a lawsuit now?

Robert Reese ale at sixit.com
Sun Jan 28 19:12:10 EST 2007

On 1/28/2007 at 5:16 PM Michael B. Trausch wrote:

>* PGP Signed by an unknown key
>
>Does anyone remember "mikerowesoft.com" and the stuff that happened as a
>result of it?  Does anybody think that the new Debian domain name
>"goodbye-microsoft.com" is going to be something that will stick around?

Mike sold out.  Debian has deeper pockets and a greater hatred of Microsoft.  Chances are, the EFF and/or the Public Citizen Litigation Group (http://www.citizen.org/litigation/) will step in and help with legal eagles, since it is obviously and unquestionably a fair-use case (note: ianal).  Furthermore, now is a good time to put those great legal tactics we learned from MS during the prolonged battle over antitrust/monopolism charges: if it ain't goin' your way, delay... delay.... delay.....  Then if you lose, appeal and request that the judgement be stayed until the appellate process is completed, presumably to its final glorious end either at the federal level or hopefully SCOTUS.  The upshot of this is free publicity for Debian throughout the processes.

Unfortunately, Microsoft is smarter than to create a martyr compleat with free advertising.  They'll nastygram Debian, show some muscle and FUD behind closed doors, then slowly back off.

However, that's not all the story.  You see, it ISN'T Debian after all!  It's only a maintainer/developer named Robert Millan (http://www.debian.org/intro/organization) and not Debian that's created goodbye-microsoft.com, and unless Debian backs him the circumstance is a little different.  Thankfully, EFF and Public Citizen Litigation Group, along with the ACLU, may very well enjoy helping Mr. Millan with this case should it come to that.

Cheers,
Robert Reese~