[ale] MintWifi

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Thu Jan 25 09:51:38 EST 2007

On Wed, 2007-01-24 at 14:42 -0500, Paul Cartwright wrote:

> On Wednesday 24 January 2007 14:20, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> > > I would try downloading the Windows driver for the card that you have
> > > and see if you can install it using the NDIS-Gtk front-end program,
> > > which you can find in "System?Administration?Windows Wireless Drivers".
> >
> > installed the INF, no luck.I seem to recall the only way I got it working
> > BM ( before mint ) was if I changed my wireless access to OPEN. That isn't
> > a really big deal around here, as I can see the 2 houses that are within
> > 300 feet of me.. and I know them both, and neither has wireless.
>
> ok, so I had to go into my router and disable security, now it works. The
> wireless settings in Linux can't handle WPA security, I didn't try WEP..
> I don't think I've ever gotten WEP settings to work, even with M$-XP..

WEP is the easy stuff.

Unfortunately, I have never toyed around with WPA, so I don't know what
it takes to get that running.  I use WEP + MAC filtering on my little
home dealy.  Neither are very "strong," but for home use, it's good
enough for me.

    -- Mike

--
Michael B. Trausch
                    fd0man at gmail.com
Phone: (404) 592-5746
                          Jabber IM:
                    fd0man at gmail.com
              fd0man at livejournal.com
Demand Freedom!  Use open and free protocols, standards, and software!