[ale] Linux box as a router w/DHCP

Charles Shapiro hooterpincher at gmail.com
Mon Jan 22 09:39:55 EST 2007

Ooh, I have exactly this setup, using sentryCD  (
http://www.linux.com/howtos/Sentry-Firewall-CD-HOWTO-1.shtml ) on a machine
with 2 NICs, a floppy drive, and no hard drive.  I think it has, like, 128
mb on a PII or so motherboard. You don't need a lot of power to run one of
these things -- betcha you could pick up a machine capable of doing it for
$80 or so at MicroSeconds.. I really likes SentryCD. It is a bootable CD
distro which uses a floppy to store configuration files and scripts. I also
have it running my caching local name server.  Before I got broadband I had
it running diald ( http://diald.sourceforge.net/ ) to go through the phone
lines without a problem (well, besides how s l o w it was).

I just changed the link between the router and the modem/router supplied by
my ISP to be static, not DHCP. Using the DHCP server on the modem/router
means that it has to come up before the linux box in the event of a power
failure for things to work properly. So your wife is always after you to fix
the darn thing after a storm.

I don't quite get why dhcp to your isp would be a problemo.  As long as
you're using it and it's up, it should know what IP address it has. If it
reboots, it'll contact the dhcp server on the far end automatically when it
runs its client, right?

-- CHS