[ale] Samba Suse 10.1 and OS X

Dow_Hurst dhurst at mindspring.com
Sun Jan 21 22:53:23 EST 2007

Remember you have to have a Samba defined user and password setup for each linux/OS-X user that will access the Samba server.  Sometimes people forget to add the linux user to the Samba user and password files with the samba tools.  This means the user name on the Mac should be the Samba username.  The best way is to have the UIDs and usernames match on both machines.  Add the username and password to the Samba setup to authenticate properly.  Use "man -k samba" or "man -k smb" to help find the samba man pages.

Instead of using Samba may I suggest trying NFS?  I imagine that using yast2 to start the nfs server and export your directory of choice is simple.  I've done this many times in yast2.  The part I don't know is the OS-X NFS client setup as I don't use Macs.  I would imagine though that the Mac would mount on boot if the server was available and umount on shutdown.  Most of the time Macs behave the way you would expect.
Dow