[ale] Ubuntu no go

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Fri Jan 12 01:56:28 EST 2007

On Thu, 2007-01-11 at 22:27 -0500, James P. Kinney III wrote:

> run the burn speed down as low as possible. I've had many issues with
> bad burns with high speed runs. Bootable disks are apparently very
> susceptible to error that the drive can't handle. Also, be sure to do
> which ever form of checksum available on the iso image.
>
> I, too, have not been impressed yet with Ubuntu.

Ubuntu is okay.

However, interacting with their people by way of Malone and Launchpad,
they seem to be a bit quick to judge what things are things that should
be fixed and what things are not.  However, they do seem to be a bit
better than sometimes attempting to discuss things with the main
upstream projects directly.  Have you ever filed a feature request to
the GNOME team?  :-)

That having been said, Linux Mint (website, Wikipedia) is a pretty
decent system, based on Ubuntu (which, I know, is based on Debian), but
it isn't really its own distribution:  It is a customized base
installation of Ubuntu in which things work.  :-)  At least, they do for
me.  I did not have to lift a finger to configure wireless on this,
whereas after some point, I had to start changing networks manually on
Ubuntu because the NetworkManager applet stopped functioning quite some
time back.

    -- Mike

--
Michael B. Trausch
                    fd0man at gmail.com
Phone: (404) 592-5746
                          Jabber IM:
                    fd0man at gmail.com
              fd0man at livejournal.com
Demand Freedom!  Use open and free protocols, standards, and software!