[ale] BURNING A LIVE CD

Warren Myers volcimaster at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 17:24:22 EST 2007

for the same reason people use any OS - it's a 'third-party' solution to
burn ISOs on Linux - and on the Mac, too, for that matter. Linux and Mac OS
just do a better job of hiding the fact that it's not a core OS issue to
burn CDs.

I use XP pretty much just for gaming. I use Macs for personal stuff and at
work. And I use Linux for my general-purpose workstation & development &
server-related stuff.

This might get me banned from the list, but I would say that each OS has a
purpose, and if you use the OS for the things it's good for, you're OK.

Linux is great for almost everything I do on a regular basis. So is Mac OS
X. For 'typical' users (email, web surfing, basic games) XP works fine. For
more 'interesting' activities, yes, having those utilities ship with the OS
(or distro) is helpful. Sure, it would be fanfriggintastic if MS would
package an ISO burner, but then we'd probably be screaming antitrust again.

So, yes, I have to go out and download the components I want any time I
install Windows, they're not just on the CD (or DVD), but that's what we get
when we're worried about antitrust issues versus usability and convenience.

Warren

On 1/9/07, Jeff Hubbs <hbbs at comcast.net> wrote:

> Which raises the question...
>
> Why would anyone use this operating system, when it can't do such
> fundamental things?
>
> Stephen R. Blevins wrote:
> > Sincere "Thanks" to all who've responded.
> >
> > I can provide this additional information:
> >       The ISO file was supposed to be of a Live CD.
> >       When I followed the procedure, BurnCD "copied" the ISO file to the
> CD as a data file.
> >       The resulting CD would not boot.
> >
> > Based on today's responses, it looks like Windows XP (neither Home nor
> Professional) will burn ISO files as images, just as data files.  Looks like
> I'm going to have to investigate some of the 3rd-party recommendations.
> >
> > Again, a sincere "Thanks" to all who responded.

http://warrenmyers.com
"God may not play dice with the universe, but something strange is going on
with the prime numbers." --Paul Erd?s
"It's not possible. We are the type of people who have everything in our
favor going against us." --Ben Jarhvi, Short Circuit 2