[ale] OT: Windows / NTFS link question?

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 14:33:08 EST 2007

All,

I'm real familiar with how "hard" links work in Linux.

I have a Windows program that if I was in Linux I would handle as:

Process 1 creates docs in spool directory.  (Process one can be long
lived, ie. minutes, and multiple at once.)

Process 2 looks for docs in spool  directory, links them to their real
destination directory, and then unlinks them from the spool directory.
 Due to the way Linux works, Process 1 would simply continue to write
to the moved file.

I need to have the 2 processes because Process 1 is creating millions
of files in one directory right now and I don't have source for it so
that I could make it use subdirectories in the first place.  (Life in
the windows world.)

Does anyone know if NTFS / Win2003 offer a similar function?  I know
about shortcuts, but that won't cut it.

Thanks
Greg
--