[ale] X Multiple Screens, Firefox

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 23:07:56 EST 2007

On Sat, 2007-01-06 at 16:46 -0500, Robert Story wrote:

> On Sat, 6 Jan 2007 10:04:25 -0500 (GMT-05:00) Dow_Hurst wrote:
> D> Actually the situation is a bit more complex:
> D>
> D> If I ssh -X to another machine and try to open a remote Firefox instance to be displayed on my local machine, then that fails to happen if I have local Firefox running already on my local machine.  Isn't that weird?  I can kill the current local Firefox and repeat the remote command to start Firefox on the remote machine, then Firefox runs on the remote machine and displays properly on the local machine.  I never had this effect with the old Netscape or Mozilla.  Why is this happening?  The problems your having Michael seem very related to this issue too.
>
> I ran into this too. If you look at the firefox startup script, you'll see
> that it checks for a running copy before starting up. While I never looked
> into getting a second firefox processing running for the same user/profile, I
> did come up with this script to start a second firefox process with a
> different process. I use this to start a new firefox that doesn't go through
> my proxy, for the rare occasion when I need to see if my proxy is causing
> problems with some site:

I got annoyed enough by this today that I submitted a request.  I want
to see what happens to it, e.g., if it gets rejected or anything like
that.  Hopefully, though, it won't be.  I will probably also file a bug
upstream with Firefox, but I haven't got that far yet; school work is
attempting to eat me alive.  :-)

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+bug/78538

    -- Mike

--
Michael B. Trausch
                    fd0man at gmail.com
Phone: (404) 592-5746
                          Jabber IM:
                    fd0man at gmail.com
              fd0man at livejournal.com
Demand Freedom!  Use open and free protocols, standards, and software!