[ale] SuSE 10.2, can't log in as root

Jim ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Mon Jan 8 09:20:21 EST 2007

Since we're on a 10.2 theme, I thought I'd try this one out on the
collective.

When I try to run any of the system utilities, such as yast, I get the
normal little box that asks me for my root password.  However, it tells
me it is wrong.  Sure, I can fat finger with the best of them, but so
far I'm about 0 for 233. I'm not that bad!

So to run yast or anything else that has to have root access, I have to
bring up a terminal, su and run the command.  That works.  Logging in as
root, it accepts my root password fine.

Has anyone run into that before?  10.1 worked fine, but I was trying to
get my sound working so I upgraded to 10.2.  By the way, the sound will
not work on SuSE.  It works on XP so I know the hardware is working.
Short of installing the latest alsa, I've just about exhausted all the
suggestions that I've googled.

Jim.