[ale] X Multiple Screens, Firefox

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Fri Jan 5 12:37:44 EST 2007

I have a little bit of a problem, and I am sure that there is a way
around it but I can't seem to conceive it myself.

I am using X in a multi-screen configuration (e.g., not Xinerama, but
actual multiple screens; my current configuration has the screens :0.0
and :0.1).  I rather like it, other than the fact that 3D has to be
disabled (bug in my video driver apparently to be fixed with the next
release of X.org).  Anyway, I like the idea that you can have software
running on their own screens and that they're separate.  However, I have
one little annoyance with Firefox:  It seems to refuse to start another
process on Screen 0 (I usually use it on Screen 1) if I click a link on
Screen 0.

So, short of having it attempt to start on whatever screen I am on, is
there a way to make it such that Firefox will just do the right thing
(e.g., open a tab on the browser instance running in the other
$DISPLAY?)  Or, is there a way that anyone knows of to have an
application that doesn't do this on its own, be able to be split amongst
different screens?

    Thanks,
    Mike

--
Michael B. Trausch
                    fd0man at gmail.com
Phone: (404) 592-5746
                          Jabber IM:
                    fd0man at gmail.com
              fd0man at livejournal.com
Demand Freedom!  Use open and free protocols, standards, and software!