[ale] Remote Shell Question

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Wed Jan 3 12:53:12 EST 2007

On Tue, 2007-01-02 at 23:34 -0500, Vikram Nanda wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a shell script on Unix box A. I want to execute it on another
> Unix box B from the box A. The restriction is that the script file
> cannot physically land (or copied) on B. Is there any way this could
> be accomplished through rsh/rexec ?

This sounds like a silly restriction that I had when I was working with
boxes at AT&T... I wanted to write scripts to automate silly trivial
tasks that I had to do on a daily basis, but they wouldn't permit those
scripts from so much as residing in my networked $HOME because they
would be "modifications to the platform...".

I got around it by writing the script and saving it on my own
workstation, and when I needed to use it, using a generic script that
used telnet to pipe the script into the shell on the other end, and then
display the results on my tty locally, or redirect to a file using
regular shell redirection and the like.

I don't have the script that I used anymore, but I remember that I had
to use () to run things in a subshell and then pipe them into telnet,
with a series of commands to do the login, and then move the script over
to run before disconnecting.  It would be something along the lines of:

(
  sleep 1
  echo $USER
  sleep 1
  echo $PWD
  sleep 1
  IFS='
'
  for line in $SHELL_SCRIPT; do echo "$line"; sleep 1; done
  echo "exit"
) | telnet $HOST

That should get you started... hope this helps.

    -- Mike

--
Michael B. Trausch
                    fd0man at gmail.com
Phone: (404) 592-5746
                          Jabber IM:
                    fd0man at gmail.com
              fd0man at livejournal.com
Demand Freedom!  Use open and free protocols, standards, and software!