[ale] Authentication solution for Linux/Windoze environment

John V. Harding john at kiaraharding.com
Wed Jan 3 11:41:16 EST 2007

Greetings,
I currently manage a small (~40 nodes) Linux network in an engineering
environment. We also have a Windows network with about the same amount
of nodes. I currently use an NIS server running on Redhat 8 for Linux
and Windows Domain Controller for the windows network and bridge the gap
with Samba for file sharing

Can anyone suggest an authentication solution that can handle both
networks with minimum maintenance overhead? I prefer a Linux/open source
solution but would also entertain an appliance solution. There is also a
need to include a remote mirrored system for a branch office. A Windows
based Domain controller has been recommended but it does not seem to
support RHEL 4 well (or my Windows Admin does not know how to implement it).

Thanks for any suggestions,

--
--John V. Harding