[ale] VM ?

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Tue Feb 27 21:22:55 EST 2007

On Tue, 2007-02-27 at 17:08 -0500, Paul Cartwright wrote:

> I do like to have the actual OS media, to reinstall or do with as I
> wish. I think it should be a violation NOT to get the OS CD with a
> computer, but that's just me:) when I priced the new Dell computers,
> they wanted $10 for the OS CD. That I can live with. Now that I know I
> can still get to the rescue partition, even without the OS CD, I might
> not worry, but if I decided to format the entire drive Kubuntu, and I
> wanted to give my XP license to someone else, that wouldn't be very
> easy. With Linux, it is a no brainer.

I spent two hours on the phone with Microsoft today.  I have, now, mind,
spent about the past three or four months attempting to get Toshiba to
replace my "Recovery" DVD with the OEM installer for Microsoft Windows
that will take the key from my laptop.  (Otherwise, what point does the
key on the laptop serve?)  Anyway, I was told that it is against the
license to install an OEM XP in a virtual machine, and that they will do
nothing to help.  They also said that if I wanted to do that, I would
need to buy a regular "retail" license.

So, I asked about the EULA that came with my OEM XP, which states that I
can transfer it so long as I remove all my copies and all that good
stuff.  She said that it doesn't apply to OEM versions (but then, why is
it there?).

The result would be that I would have to purchase a (new) copy of
Windows to do that, if I want to use XP and the version of Office that
my school wants to make the required version later this year.
Whatever... I have a Win2k license, so I am using that, and will
continue to do so for any needs I may have down that road (which should
only be for as long as I am going to this backwards university... before
I broke out the Win2k, it was rather dusty  :)).

    -- Mike

--
Michael B. Trausch
                    fd0man at gmail.com
Phone: (404) 592-5746
                          Jabber IM:
                    fd0man at gmail.com
              fd0man at livejournal.com
Demand Freedom!  Use open and free protocols, standards, and software!