[ale] VM ?

Jim ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Mon Feb 26 13:37:23 EST 2007

Paul Cartwright wrote:
> I am not at all familiar with VMware or virtualization, or whatever you call
> running Windows under linux. My wife wants to be able to run windows under
> SUSE without rebooting. Basically to run Quicken & Quickbooks.
> What are a few GOOD options? Is it VMware, or Zen, or.. a good doc tutorial,
> or installation guide would be handy:)

VMware will let you run Windows as a guest under Linux, however it
virtualizes all the hardware so if you like to be able to plug stuff
into the box, like dongles, cameras, etc. and use them under Windows,
forget it.

To run Windows under VMware you will either need to boot an install disk
and install a new copy of Windows into VMware or buy a special program
that will create a VMware image from an existing windows partition.
Both of those bring up issues with licenses.

Xen will also let you boot a windows guest but in that case you have to
boot an install disk AND it will only work if you have the newer
hardware that supports hardware virtualization.  Intel Virtual
Technology or the AMD equivalent, I forget the name.

Qemu will also work but it's pretty slow compared to the other options.

Jim.