[ale] backing up /var -POSTGRES & LABEL

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Fri Feb 23 14:23:52 EST 2007

On Fri, 2007-02-23 at 05:52 -0500, Jim wrote:

> Michael B. Trausch wrote:
> >
> > Labels and UUIDs are becoming more and more common as identifiers used
> > in /etc/fstab.  There are some advantages to this layout, though you
> > have to do a little more work when it comes to finding out what
> > drive/partition the filesystem is actually on.  The /good/ thing is
> > that you can have the system use FS labels or (even better) UUIDs to
> > mount filesystems, which guards them against you adding and removing
> > devices, and even in some cases, massive kernel upgrades.
> >

> WARNING UUIDs change!  Twice now I've had the UUID change on a partition
> when I've installed alternate OSs to different partitions on a disk.  I
> have no idea why installing a new OS would change the UUID of an
> existing partition but it did.  All of a sudden I could no longer boot
> the original Ubuntu system after installing Centos (I think), when I
> looked into it, the UUID for the Ubuntu system had changed.  I just
> reverted back to using /dev/hda5 in the /etc/fstab instead of that messy
> UUID=<some random bunch of garbage> to fix.

That sounds like there is a bug somewhere.  The UUID of a filesystem
should not change unless the filesystem is re-formatted.  Sure, there is
a tune2fs switch to alter the UUID of an ext2/3 filesystem, but I can't
think of any logical reason for its use.

    -- Mike

--
Michael B. Trausch
                    fd0man at gmail.com
Phone: (404) 592-5746
                          Jabber IM:
                    fd0man at gmail.com
              fd0man at livejournal.com
Demand Freedom!  Use open and free protocols, standards, and software!