[ale] backing up /var -POSTGRES & LABEL

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Thu Feb 22 09:26:52 EST 2007

" adding or removing a SCSI disk changes the disk device name but not the filesystem volume label"

Well there you go.  I found out about the disk device name changes some time back but hadn't figured labels with that (2 & 2 together do equal 4 apparently).

I'm used to UNIX variants which don't change existing device names.  (Well Solaris did on tape drive devices but there was a way to tell it to do persistent binding.)

On my RHEL AS 3 systems I had to do quite a bit to get around the device name changes but that was using EMC PowerPath for SAN so the names weren't directly mounted but used as alternate physical paths for the pseudo devices.