[ale] USB auto mount

Brian Pitts bpitts at learnlink.emory.edu
Wed Feb 21 23:13:54 EST 2007

Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts wrote:
> I have been stubborn about refusing to give my beloved Ubuntu box the
> Windows three finger salute.  I hope that a reboot would fix it but I
> would really like to know what process is erred and how to set it right.
The possible culprits are, hald, dbus, and gnome-volume-manager. Here
are some debugging tips . They're from Mandriva, so the placement of
configuration files etc. might be a little different.

http://wiki.mandriva.com/Docs/SysAdmin/Config/HotPlug

Now, the tricky part.. You plug a device and "it doesn't work !". In
order to get this fixed, you need to fill bug report to the correct
package, to help maintainers to understand what is the exact problem.
The best way to find the right component is to use a differential
diagnosis (like a medical diagnosis). Let's try this with a removable
storage device : I plugged a removable harddrive.

    * Do you see a new icon on your desktop ? if yes, everything is
fine, your test is finished
    * No new icon on the desktop : check /etc/fstab to see if new mount
point was added for your device. If unsure, unplug the device, check
/etc/fstab, then plug your device, wait a little (10s) and check again.
If mount point was added and is mounted, report a bug on nautilus (for
GNOME) or kdebase (KDE).
    * If /etc/fstab contains a mount point for your entry, it means
gnome-volume-manager didn't mount it automatically. Check if
gnome-volume-manager is running (by running ps aux | grep
gnome-volume-manager in a terminal) and if it is configured to automount
removable devices.
          o If it is, check if hal was not configured to disable
automount hint (read by gnome-volume-manager) in /etc/hal/hald.conf
(storage_automount_enabled_hint).
          o If it is set, make sure this hint wasn't disabled for your
particular device. For that, run hal-device-manager (in hal-gnome
package) and check value for this parameter for your particular device.
          o If this hint was set, it appears to be a bug in
gnome-volume-manager which should be reported.
          o If this hint was not set, it was either disabled on purpose
or by mistake or it could be a bug. This bug should be reported on hal
package.
    * If /etc/fstab doesn't contain mount point entry, either hal didn't
detect your device or didn't create mount point for it :
          o check if hald is running correctly (/etc/init.d/haldaemon
status). Make sure dbus system bus is running too (it must be started
*before* haldaemon), using /etc/init.d/messagebus status.
          o if hal is running correctly, try to monitor for hal new
events using hal-device-manager : start hal-device-manager, then plug
(or unplug) your device. System tree view in hal-device-manager should
be modified (with a latency up to 5 or 10s).
                + if tree view doesn't change, hal didn't receive any
event from hotplug or didn't knew how to deal with them. Check syslog
when plugging/unplugging your device :
                      # if kernel notices something, it is probably a
bug in hal.
                      # If not, it is either a bug in hotplug or kernel.
                + if tree view did notice the changes, it means some
parameters for this device were missing or wrong. You should report a
bug in hal.

When reporting bug for hal or gnome-volume-manager, you should always
add "lshal" log to bug report, which is a text representation of HAL
view of your system.