[ale] USB auto mount

Danny Cox DCox at icc.net
Wed Feb 21 12:53:19 EST 2007

On Wed, 2007-02-21 at 10:02 -0500, Jim wrote:
> Mark Wright wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > My Ubuntu box quit auto mounting my usb stick yesterday.  Any idea
> > about how to restore this?  I suppose I could look up the syntax for
> > mount but I would like to know if I can fix the broken auto mount.
> >
> A quick fix is perhaps a reboot.  I haven't had Ubuntu do that to me,
> but SUSE used to stop automounting all the time.  A reboot fixed it.

	This has happened to me on Fedora 3-6 from time to time, but when
thing, but the SUSE data point above would seem to exonerate Gnome
(since SUSE by default uses KDE).

<speculation mode>

	I've always seen tremendously long uptimes with the kernel, but the UI
would begin doing weird things after 2-3 weeks.  Since it seems to
happen to both KDE and Gnome, perhaps it's something common to both, say
in the kernel, but not a serious enough bug to be noticed and
eliminated.

	I have tried restarting the UI, but that didn't seem to help, again
pointing to the only entity keeping state: the kernel.

<speculation mode/>

--
Daniel S. Cox
Internet Commerce Corporation