[ale] Video Card Recommendations

Scott Castaline hscast at charter.net
Tue Feb 20 21:08:08 EST 2007

Jim wrote:
> Scott Castaline wrote:
>
>> Jim wrote:

>>> I've installed two different GeForce cards (one was a PNY) in the last
>>> couple of months and both are working flawlessly.  I've run them with
>>> and without the nvidia drivers and there are no problems either way.  I
>>> can't image that the 5200 would be any different.
>>>
>>> Jim
>>>

>> Went ahead and ordered from Circuit City the FX 5200 on-line. Should
>> have it tomorrow. I'll keep you posted. Thanks to all for your
>> suggestions. It is also good to know that it'll probably work with
>> generic drivers as I thought it would, but more than likely any special
>> features would only be accessed through the proprietary software.
>>

> If I understand the documentation correctly, by installing the nvidia
> drives you enable the 3D capabilities of the card.  Since I don't do
> games, I've not noticed any difference.
>
> Good luck but I don't think you're gonna need it. ;)
>
> Jim.

I believe beryl and the latest compiz uses 3D for it's eye-candy and the
cube effects. It's been many moons since I've changed video out. The
last one I did was VGA with max res of 800 x 600, and my memory ain't
what it used to be;=). But I should be ok, but for some reason I prefer
playing musical filesystems.