[ale] Bellsouth and SMTP

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Mon Feb 19 21:22:36 EST 2007

On Mon, 2007-02-19 at 18:01 -0500, Bob Toxen wrote:
> Most ISPs block (and should block) OUTgoing port 25 traffic, i.e., your
> random TCP port number to port 25 of any system on the Internet except
> the ISP's outgoing mail server.  This is so their anti-spam software can
> detect a dishonest or compromised subscriber sending out lots of spam.
>
> Blocking incoming traffic to your home system's TCP port 25 is just
> sleazy blackmail to force you to upgrade to higher priced business
> service.  That's also why they block incoming traffic to TCP port 80.
> If the FCC wasn't corrupt Mmmmm [Girlfriend applies duct tape to mouth
> to stop ranting].

A friendly recommendation. Keep the duct tape out of reach and
substitute gaffers tape. Looks like duct tape, should fool most SO's
into using for mouth covering/rant repressing but it leaves no sticky
residue behind. Much easier to remove gaffer tape from a bearded face
that duct tape. Don't even keep any of the aluminum tape in the house.
Bad news. Very bad news.

:}