[ale] ssh over Cygwin

Terry Bailey terry at bitlinx.com
Fri Feb 16 23:51:08 EST 2007

I have done that numerous times.  That is the way I have been starting and
stopping the sshd daemon.  It automatically starts when the Cygwin window
is opened.  I don't know how this works; I don't see in run any control
files/directories (e.g., rc3 , rc2.d).  I am pretty sure the problem is
within the Windows environment.  It looks as though the entries in
/etc/passwd simply point to conditions set in the Windows environment.  For
instance, user xxx cannot login using ssh or sftp over The Internet by just
simply being in the Users group within Windows.  However, with in the
Windows environment, you can simply add user xxx to the administrators
group and then, bam, suddenly xxx can login using ssh/sftp over The
Internet.  Note that mkpasswd  -l > /etc/passwd was not rerun.  I have
looked in the Local Security Settings within Windows but have found nothing.

The sshd daemon does not act this way on my Fedora box.  A  user can login
to the Fedora box without having some special status.

Man, this is my last hurdle and I have spent many days on it.  Thanks for
being interested.  Please keep doing R&D.