[ale] home network printer(s)

Sean Kilpatrick drifter at oppositelock.org
Thu Feb 15 16:46:53 EST 2007

On Thursday 15 February 2007 14:42, Cy Kurtz wrote:
| What network printer(s) are out there and working well?
|
| Do I need a network printer at all?
|
| What if I just buy a good robust printer for my linux box and allow the
| Win XP computers to use it?
|
| Is that really hard to do?
|
| Would I be better off buying three less expensive printers?
|
| What are your thoughts?

I got a hellava deal on an HP 2605DN (color laser). It was network ready
and does color photographs better than inexpensive photo inkjet
printers.  I would urge you to NOT get three cheap inkjet printers.  With
two students pounding on them the ink costs will be prohibitive.
Interesting note:  as soon as I plugged the HP to the LAN my wife's Mac
laptop found it and listed it as an available printer.   It now serves as
a backup to her Epson color inkjet, which seems to run low on ink at least
monthly.  <rant mode> And if one of the color ink cartridges is low the damn
thing won't print a simple text document. <end rant>

Modern laser printers don't draw much power on standby (the HP 2605 draws
11 watts) so from that perspective it is better to network a printer than
leave a computer on all the time to serve as the print server.  And if
your teenagers are as computer savvy as mine were, you might not want to
leave your computer turned on and hooked up to the LAN! :)

Sean