[ale] home network printer(s)

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 15 15:35:12 EST 2007

On Thu, 2007-02-15 at 14:42 -0500, Cy Kurtz wrote:
> I think I want a network printer to serve my linux box and my two
> kids'(3rd yr college student and H.S. Soph) Win XP boxen.
>
> What network printer(s) are out there and working well?
>
> Do I need a network printer at all?
>
> What if I just buy a good robust printer for my linux box and allow the
> Win XP computers to use it?
>
> Is that really hard to do?
>
> Would I be better off buying three less expensive printers?
>
> What are your thoughts?

I spent ~$900 on a HP-2100TN (network enabled laser printer, 2 trays)
over 7 years ago, and it has been nothing but a blessing.  The printing
is nice and clean, the printed pages don't bleed or run, and the pages
last for years.  Friends/relatives come over to visit and the printer
simply just works for them once they are given the wifi password.  Sure
the initial cost was high.  But it has since then paid for itself over
and over by simply working immediately when needed, regardless of the OS
used, or the job being printed (envelopes, labels, letterhead,
cellophane).  When this one finally gives out, I'll get another one or
it's successor.

-Jim P.