[ale] Linux Kubuntu Install - LiveThumbdrive

Steve Brown braino420 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 21:36:47 EST 2007

Paul Cartwright wrote:

> >good idea! when you get it to work, let me know, that sounds handy!!

I was looking into this awhile back, there are quite a few different ways
you can do it. Instead of installing Ubuntu onto the thumbdrive, it's more
like putting the live-cd image onto the thumbdrive. Here are some
instructions for Debian:
http://www.crummysocks.com/node/295
Instead of downloading the Debian business card install, you could use the
Ubuntu Live CD as the image (the actual image you downloaded, not the CD).
However, during the time I was looking into this, I read that it could
greatly shorten the life of your thumbdrive, with all the reading and
writing going on (anyone else know something about this?). Not only that,
but I think it's  faster to just load everything from the CD (again, I'm not
sure). Then, of course, there are the space requirements, but your 2GB
thumbdrive should be plent. So I started looking into how you can create
your own customized LiveCD and turned up some very useful tools:
Reconstructor (thanks to KingBahamut):
http://reconstructor.aperantis.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1
and Ubuntu Customization Kit:
http://uck.sourceforge.net/

Then, if you want your settings and stuff to be saved to your thumbdrive,
you can use LiveCD persistence:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCDPersistence

More info can be found at: http://www.livedistro.org/
HTH,