[ale] [OT] Video Camera Rant/Modern Media Formats Rant

Thompson Freeman tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Tue Feb 6 14:16:55 EST 2007

Admittedly, the only tenuous connection to Linux here is
that if I ever get video editing done, it will be done
under Linux. The underlying challenge is still too common
with the various computer media.

<rant tale of woe>

My video cam decided not to work a few months back when
apparently the critical failure circuit detected I was
attempting to shoot my daughter-in-law's baby shower. I
finally got it in to the shop for diagnosis, and the bill
to repair is greater than I spent on the camera six/seven
years ago! _NOT_ worth the money to repair, but in the mean
time everybody has stopped making digital format Hi-8 media
cameras! Now I've got a bunch of video footage which has
become inaccessable, at least to me.

I can get the footage saved/converted at Wolf Camera for a
mere $30/2hr of tape. With possibly 35 hours of tape, that
adds up to a fair piece of change, especially since I don't
know what is on some of the tape (bad habits on my part).
Why, oh Why are we changing to incompatible formats every
few years for just about every electronic device around? I
mean, it is the 8", 5.25" hard sectored, 5.25" soft
sectored, 5.25" HD, 3", 3"HD floppy dance all over again.
I've had 3 digital still cameras now, and not one of them
has reused either batteries or storage media, or been
really worth repairing when something goes wrong with a
$200 intial investment.
</rant>

FWIW, and because there are a number of people with varied
interests around here, anybody around here have access to
appropriate equipment that I might get these tapes
converted? Its a long shot, but I might at well ask. I'm in
Charlotte, but I've got kin in the Atlanta region, so I
probably can meet up with somebody.

Thanks for the bandwidth to get that frustration off my
chest. Appologies for being quite so far off topic.