[ale] unusual cursor behavior - don't know where to begin

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 10:43:18 EST 2007

On Mon, 2007-02-05 at 22:36 -0500, William Fragakis wrote:

> Hi all,
> I tried googling this but it's such a bizarre behaviour, I run into
> solutions to every problem but the one I seem to be having.
>
> We have an LTSP server at school which behaves properly as a server. The
> teacher also uses it as a work station and only in this situation does
> our situation arise - no matter the log in and in both GNOME and KDE.
> After a while when a few apps have been opened (not any one
> specifically) the cursor refuses to leave the left hand quarter inch of
> the screen. When I attempt to move it over, it's as if it hits an
> invisible wall and won't go any further. Occasionally, I can sneak it a
> little further out along the bottom or the top but it will snap back. If
> I log out and back in, the behaviour disappears... for a while. Open a
> couple of apps and back we go. The clients running off this server do
> not do this. Only when on the server itself.

I have had problems before with the mouse cursor, as well, though mine
seems to be due to a specific problem with X.org somewhere.  Sometimes,
when I start OpenOffice.org and click the "File" menu, my CPU usage from
X goes through the roof and that's that.  The mouse will move rather
sluggishly on one monitor, and never actually make it to the second
monitor.  I have also had problems with some programs that "lock" the
mouse if they terminate improperly, such as QEMU.  Usually, a restart of
X will do the trick, though with the problem that I experience with
OpenOffice.org's menus and X, the only solution is to login to the box
by SSH and reboot.

    -- Mike

--
Michael B. Trausch
                    fd0man at gmail.com
Phone: (404) 592-5746
                          Jabber IM:
                    fd0man at gmail.com
              fd0man at livejournal.com
Demand Freedom!  Use open and free protocols, standards, and software!