[ale] Evolution - Left pane sorting?

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Fri Apr 20 11:13:18 EDT 2007

Is there a way to pass environment variables to Gnome for users who
login that way?
e.g.
LC_ALL=C

Background:
I did some testing and found the standard "sort" utility does exactly
the same thing.  (FreeBSD and HP-UX do not - they sort and pay attention
to the ! and # as distinct characters.)  There is no flag in sort that
changes this behavior.  (Oddly enough there is one that says to force
this behavior but no corresponding way to switch it off.)

Further reading on the info doc for sort led me to looking at LC* and
LANG variables.  My LANG was set but none of the LC* variables.   I
therefore set:
LC_ALL=C

After that "sort" command does the sorting the way I expect (groups !*
together, #* together then a* together, b* etc...)

However even though I've set this in .bashrc for the affected user it
doesn't have impact on Evolution.  Since Evolution is being started in
Gnome I'm thinking the user's session doesn't actually invoke .bashrc
until he drops to a terminal and even then only for that terminal.
Since there are many .g* files and I'm not a Gnome expert by any means I
have no clue what the effect (if any) there would be to trying to add
the variable to one of those.

Can someone tell me which file to add it to for an individual user (or
failing that for global purposes)?