[ale] large file downloads & Comcast

Tim Meanor timothy at meanor.net
Sat Sep 30 18:33:28 EDT 2006

Hi all,
I have a bunch of different PCs hiding behind a LinkSys wireless
router.  Comcast is my ISP.  I've been trying to download the Ubuntu
6.06 PPC ISO.  I have an old Titanium Mac Powerbook on which I'd like
to try running Ubuntu.  Problem is, the download gets to 649 MB (out
of about 698MB) and it dies.  By "dies" I mean it hangs, no more data
comes down, etc.  This happens on Mac OS X, Linux, and Windows.  I've
tried downloading via Firefox, IE, Safari, and Curl, but always the
same result.  I suspect that Comcast is killing the download once it
hits 649MB, but I'm not totally sure this is the problem.  I've had
this problem downloading large files before (e.g. trying to download
XCode resulted in the same problem).  Has anyone had this problem
before?  Anyone have any insights?  Thanks for any ideas.

-Tim