[ale] Etherreal and switches

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Thu Sep 28 11:59:08 EDT 2006

My confusion is that I can purchase software that claims to sit on your
network and alert when bandwidth utilization is too high.  I think this
works great if you have hubs.  What I fail to see is how well this will
work when you are using high quality Cisco switches.  Also how can a
product like this really know what my bandwidth usage is if I have a
6500 series with a massive backplane.  A backplane much larger than the
gb ports.  Also for a product like this to work it must be able to see
_all_ the traffic.

Here is a description from one such product:

Toolbox continuously monitors the QoS and provides a complete audit
trail of your network traffic utilizing our award-winning XXXX feature.
XXXX provides you the ability rewind and replay your network to view the
applications, their bandwidth and source IP that were traversing the
network at the time of voice degradation or failure.  With our Remote
Scope feature, you can monitor the flow of LAN traffic and drill down by
source, destination, application and port

I'm trying to access how well that will product will work with many
different sizes.