[ale] HOW2 install BellSloth DSL for Linux ?

Justin Haygood jhaygood at spsu.edu
Wed Sep 27 18:41:32 EDT 2006

Actually, its easier than that.

BellSouth's new Ethernet/USB
modems, when used as an Ethernet modem, will also act as a router. It's
plug and play.

Jsut need to login at http://launchmodem or
http://192.168.1.254

This has been true since at least 2002
(when i first got service through them).

Read: no configuration
necessary.

> Yay!! Courtney's getting DSL!!
>
> Most Bellsouth DSL uses PPPoE. If you are using a RedHat derivative
the
> default setup using the gui network configurator will do all
the lifting
> for you. Just selct new->xDSL and fill in the
username and password that
> BS tells you to use.
>
> The only GotCha I have seen in a LONG time is if they show up with
a USB
> DSL modem. Be sure to DEMAND a regular ethernet version as
many of the
> USB versions are simply unsupported (think winmodem
:{ )

> If you don't use a a redhat variant, the best
tool to use (what RH uses
> in the background) is called rp-pppoe
(Roaring Penguin PPPoE). It has a
> command line configation tool
that ask you basic questions and then it
> just works!
>

> If BS is installing the setup, they will balk at looking at
anything but
> a winders machine so you will need one ready.
>
> You can also use a Linksys router gizmo and get wireless
as well. They
> are also quite easy to set up. Just have you Linux
box set for DHCP then
> web browse to http://192.168.0.1 (or
whatever netstat -rn says is you
> default gateway address). Tell
the linksys you use PPPoE and put the
> password and username and
that about it for connections.

18:07 -0400, Courtney Thomas wrote:
>> I'm supposed to get DSL
service next week and would appreciate those
>> that've
>> been down this road to relate what must be done re:hardware
& software
>> wise
>> permit a
Linux box to get online.