[ale] Confusion compiling new software

Thompson Freeman tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Wed Sep 27 14:51:50 EDT 2006

Ok. I've messed something up here, and don't know what.
Also, I may not know enough of what I'm doing to give
entirely coherent descriptions.

Still, if anybody has a clue, I sure would like to borrow
it for a while...

For much of the day, I have been compiling, trying out,
then recompiling a new application with different
configurations & libraries. This application comes in two
parts, a library portion, and what supposedly is the user
interface portion. The library can link in two optional
libraries, and the user interface can link in four optional
libraries. (All these optional libraries are why I'm doing
the compile/recompile exercise; trying to note which does
what and so forth). The configure;make;make install; make
uninstall has been working for about six iterations now
while I try to learn what I'm doing.

Unfortunately, the configure step just blew up on me with
the line "checking for C compiler default output file
name... configure: error: C compiler cannot create
executables"  I attach the config.log for more details.

Any body know/guess what I've done wrong???

Help!