[ale] New Mailing List initiatives for ALE

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Wed Sep 27 13:49:46 EDT 2006

I've read most of the responses.

If this is truly a problem worth solving I propose we create a new
filtered list that only a select group of "forwarders" can post to,
but that people desiring a high-signal to noise level could subscribe
to.  The reply-to address would be the existing ale list which would
continue to be unfiltered.

Then, the "forwarders" would monitor the existing list and forward
appropriate content to the new list.   After a few months we would
know how many people had subscribed to the new filtered list.

Personally, I would stay subscribed to the existing list most likely
not the filtered list.  Obviously, this approach requires volunteer
forwarders, but the moderated approach requires volunteer moderators,
so it is basically the same amount of effort but allows the existing
list to maintain both the technical quality it has and the community
spirit we want.

Greg