[ale] Using Linux in the not-so-friendly world...

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Tue Sep 26 21:01:36 EDT 2006

Justin Haygood wrote:

> They probably do not apply, however you can state that since you do not
> wish, and cannot afford to run Microsoft software, that they should
> accomodate you.
>
> However, most email systems still have bridges to standards-based
> systems. My school's webmail system (webmail.spsu.edu) for instance,
> allows access from POP3  and IMAP, even though they highly prefer you to
> use Webmail, and doesn't officially support IMAP at all (They have
> passing support of POP3, meaning they tell you about it)/

I am hoping that they keep the mail going; next Monday, though, I will
find out exactly what it is all about for sure.  That is when they
"migrate" everything over.  And the classrooms, which are all NNTP based
right now (even though they are running on Exchange servers, blah), are
supposedly going to this new "forum" format to "make things even better!"

Heh.

But the point, anyway, being that right now, I can use regular software;
I am not sure if I am going to be able to do so come next Monday.  :-(

They already know that I use Linux, and Thunderbird, and all of that,
but they have said that they will only support MS products in the new
config.  I hope that is just "tech support won't handle Linux but the
software will," but I won't know about that until it actually happens.  :-/

	- Mike

--
"Fate: Protects fools, children, and ships called /Enterprise/."
                               -- William T. Riker, ST:TNG, "Contagion"