[ale] New Mailing List initiatives for ALE

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 26 18:34:58 EDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-09-26 at 18:22 -0400, James Sumners wrote:
> Don't get me wrong; my head might actually explode if I see one more
> useless "Ping!OMFG IM NOT GETTING EMAIL!" thread.

Most, if not all, of the "Ping" posts are a result of the server having
issues, or people suspecting that the server is having issues.  It is
true that today's "Ping" post wasn't indicative of this, _but_ past
experience has taught everybody that ALE does periodically have delivery
problems... so people "ping" it to see if it is working.

Another way to look at this issue is does ALE risk alienating members
when they reach the consensus that their email may or may not go
through, let alone in a timely fashion (be it moderation or simply
server issues).  How will moderation alleviate that?

Are we shooting for Nirvana here now?

-Jim P.