[ale] recommended personal DSL provider for Alpharetta ?

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Mon Sep 25 09:28:33 EDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-09-25 at 09:00 -0400, Jeff Lightner wrote:
> Correction:
> Alltel not AllTell and Alltel no longer provides wireline services.  The
> wireline company was pun off into a new company named Windstream.

I thought they had been bought or changed name. I don't track them as
they are not in my area. I do have friends and clients in their area so
I am somewhat - if third party - familiar with them.

> Despite your disapproval both stocks are doing well.  :p

Stock value is not a good indicator of service quality.

> I've been using cable for the past few years and disagree with the "days
> not hours" line.  In most cases it seems that interruptions are cleared
> quickly and the companies I've used (TimeWarner in NC and Comcast here)
> seem to be aware of the problem before I call them.

For the large-scale service outages, nearly every provider does OK. When
a router goes up in smoke or a major trunk gets back-hoed, they all jump
and make things happen.

It's when an individual has a connection issue that the
days, not hours" rears it's ugly head.

A personal anecdote: My next door neighbor sold their house and moved
out. They arranged to have the cable service disconnected the day after
they were out. I knew this because I spoke with the tech as he pulled up
and blocked my driveway. So he proceeds to disconnect MY cable (we were
in the middle of Babylon 5 reruns - GRRR!). I run out to see if he fell
off the ladder and took out my line and saw the cable truck driving off
and saw _MY_ line dangling from the box.

So I called the cable company and informed them of this event.

They put me on the schedule for repair 4 days later!! I could still see
the truck stopped at the end of the street doing paperwork. All they had
to do was call him and correct the problem.

So I got a ladder and climbed the pole and fixed it myself (like it's
hard!) and put a label on my line.

4 days later, the same cable tech shows up to reconnect my cable.

I could go on and on and on with stories of a similar nature from
friends and family and clients.

One thing to keep in mind: when you get a DSL line, you also get a
backup dial-up access. When the cable modem goes out, tough.