[ale] recommended personal DSL provider for Alpharetta ?

Brian Hartsfield krandor1 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 24 15:46:09 EDT 2006

The one thing I would add is that the "shared" nature of Cable modems is
less of an issue then most people make it out to be because you WILL stilll
be sharing.  With DSL you are only guaranteed the bandwidth from your house
to the CO.  With cable the bandwidth from your house to their man office is
shared.  However, in both cases once it leaves either CO it will be on
shared pipes.  So it will still be shared but just one more hop up the
line.  if the DSL provider does not have adequite upsteam pipes the
dedicated bandwidth from your house to the CO is meaningless.

I use Comcast and in 2 years it only went down once and that was after a
major thunderstorm but it was back up in a few hours.  Download bandwidth is
very high (I do pay for the higher download tier) and have no problems.
Only thing I don't like is their policy of absolutely no servers.  I do keep
some small things running for my personal use (to access stuff at home from
work) and have been fine, but I am aware that I could have an issue.