[ale] Lexmark x125 -- was Re: alternate boot using GRUB or others?

JK jknapka at kneuro.net
Thu Sep 21 18:50:16 EDT 2006

Brian Pitts wrote:

>>I have a friend with a Lexmark x125 USB-only printer that
>>he would like to (a) connect to his Linux machine and
>>print to, and (b) share to a Windog XP machine.
>>
>>Has anyone done this?  I'm hoping for a quick fix
>>
>>-- JK
>

> Hopefully part (a) will just work.

Well, not so far.  It's a Fedora Core Old (1 or 2, can't
remember which) machine, and CUPS knows nothing about any
Lexmark product. I spent a little while last night trying
to figure out how to get new printer definitions (or
whatever) for CUPS, but I didn't have time to complete
the job (or even hit upon useful instructions).

I probably just need to upgrade his machine to a more
recent FC version, but the whole concept of that
scares me.

> The quick way for part (b) is to have
> Windows connect to the CUPS through IPP. The directions at
> http://www.owlfish.com/thoughts/winipp-cups-2003-07-20.html are a little
> old but strike me as right.

OK, thanks.

-- JK