[ale] info vs man was Re: alternate boot using GRUB or others?

Danny Cox DCox at icc.net
Thu Sep 21 12:39:35 EDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-09-21 at 11:56 -0400, Jerry Yu wrote:
> Pls allow me to clarify, I disliked it because my favorite vi keys
> donot work inside an info page at first dib and the move breaks the
> rule of "it works great why improve it". I guess 'it works great' part
> is from the consumers' perspective.
> Now that I am motivated to move to info, I 'man info' and I found D
> switch!  'info --vi-keys grub', to get my vi keys to work again.
> great, a happy camper once again...

	I've always disliked info, ever since I first had to consult it.  I can
navigate just fine in emacs, but as a programmer, the idea of separating
documentation implies that one will gradually get out of date, thereby
doubling the effort to keep both of them up.  Obviously, the GNU folks
think that 'man' is deprecated.  I don't.

	The only benefit I can see with 'info' is that it supports linking to
other files.  I remain unconvinced of it's necessity.

	Perhaps next they'll "encourage" renaming the acronym to be RTF[MI]?
Or is my cynicism showing? ;-)

--
Daniel S. Cox
Internet Commerce Corporation